Monday, March 23, 2020

Adventures in bread

I'm not quite the over achiever that Linnea is so I only had a 25 pound bag of bread flour that I got at christmas time.

We made pizza before mom and dad left.  I don't have any pictures and will do a post about that later.

Since then, I have made white bread: https://lilluna.com/basic-homemade-bread-recipe/

I did not top it with butter but it was super yummy! I think it might have been slightly under risen.   This is before rising:

Shaped into loaves: 

The split loaf is half cheesy bread.  I put in what felt like a stupid amount of cheese and it barely showed up in the final product - it was yummy though!   (you can see a bit of crunchy cheese that leaked out on the right side of this picture)

I followed her directions and sliced and froze the second loaf and it made some delicious sandwiches for our hike on Sunday.

I also attempted to make breadsticks (https://prettysimplesweet.com/crispy-breadsticks-grissini/).  I wanted them to turn out like the breadsticks from wuolett.  These did not rise enough to be like those so I will keep searching.  I don't have any in in process pictures for these but the amount of oil and butter in the dough made it very stiff and splitty.  The kids said they were delicious though. 


Last up was hamburger buns: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns/



This dough was much easier to work with.  The shape is all wrong.   These were some notes from Hannah: To make burger buns weigh dough to 3 oz, round, place on parchment lined pans with space. Let rise then flatten with your hand. Dont squish super flat but deflate and the diameter should be about the diameter of finished bun, let rise again and then bake. If you want to be fancy spray with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
I also forgot to add the salt which was definitely missed.  I also realized this morning that there is a video and they put damp cloth over when they did the 10 minute rest so maybe that would have flattened them out more.  I think I also made them too ball shaped when I made the initial buns. 

Overall -
Loaf bread - A - super tasty and not too hard - would add an egg wash to make it pretty next time
Breadsticks - B - tasty but harder to make and not what I was looking for
Hamburger buns - B- - This is mostly my fault since I forgot to add the salt.

More misadventures in baking to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment